Thursday, July 28, 2005

These Are the Times That Try Men's Souls

I don't have a lot of time to comment today. I've been scanning some news outlets looking for a story that jumps out at me to write about, and now I am pretty much out of time. Yes, Howard Dean, some conservatives do have to work for a living. There is the story that appears to say that the Democrats are now trying to link John Bolton with the Karl Rove/Valerie Plame non-issue, but I don't have enough information to comment on that. But, as I have said, that is a non-issue to me, anyway.

This one kind of jumps out at me:


LONDON: Anti-terrorist officers arrested nine men in dawn raids Thursday in connection with the botched July 21 attacks on London's transit system, bringing to 20 the number of people police have in custody, including one of the alleged bombers.

With three of the suspected attackers still at large, Britain's most senior police officer warned of more possible attacks and thousands of officers patrolled the country's rail network to reassure the public.

"There are many thousands of police officers trying to ensure the safety of Londoners," said Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Ian Blair, three weeks to the day after the July 7 attacks that killed 56 people, including four suicide bombers.

He said it was "a race against time" to find the suspected bombers.

"It does remain possible that those at large will strike again," he added. "It does also remain possible that there are other cells who are capable and intent on striking again."

Read the rest of the story here

The thing that astounds me about this thing, is that it appears England is doing a much better job at ferreting out terrorists cells than we are. And this is even more astounding given that England has been allowing people with questionable associations into the country. America is much less likely to let suspicious people into the country legally than England.

Legally.

So, why is England doing so much a better job than we are at finding these guys? I think it goes back to what I have been talking about in previous posts. England is more focused on the problem than we are. Now, I realize they haven't always been. After all, they were pretty easy in regards to letting them into the country. And there was a time, immediately after the attacks on the WTC, that America was more guarded.

I suggest that we get back to that heightened awareness. I call on all Americans, Democrats and Republicans, Conservatives and Liberals, to start a grassroots campaign to make our senators, congressmen, and President get focused. Lets get the word out that our country needs to be more focused on wiping out this scourge. Lets DO SOMETHING!

Our lives and the lives of our progeny are at stake here.

If something is not done and soon, God help us.

Update: It is now my lunch time and I have been listening to radio talk shows as I work. It appears radio talk show hosts, as well as television News sources, newspaper columnists, bloggers, and even NASA scientists themselves are now second guessing the hasty decision to go ahead and launch the Space shuttle Discovery. I don't want to say, "I told you so", but uh...yeah, I told you so.

Do any of you people reading this know or have access to anyone at NASA that may be interested in hiring a consultant? I think I qualify. If you don't believe me, go read my July 18th post.

Lie Of The Day
"None of us wants a fight, none of us. The reason I'm giving this speech is to help head this off and see if we can come to some accommodation and understanding in the best spirit of bipartisanship," claimed Chuck Schumer, on the John Roberts nomination.


THE TRUTH:
That's funny. That's not what you were overheard saying on your cell-phone a few weeks ago when talking about Bush's nominee: "We are contemplating how we are going to go to war over this."

1 comment:

Xena said...

The problem that I see with America ferreting out the terrorist cells is that we have tied our own hands. We are so unwilling to hurt anyone's feelings or so afraid of what the media will say that we won't investigate, search, and arrest those who are planning to do us harm.

Until we are willing, as a people, to do whatever it takes to remove these people from society, permanently, we will never be safe.