Monday, July 11, 2005

Humor is Bipartisan

Rich Bachelor, a liberal who doesn't want to admit it, had this to say about my weekend post about Rush Limbaugh's answer to one of his critics: "Kudos, buddy.", which leads me to my point today. Humor is bi-partisan. As is most entertainment.
Others seem to resent humorous comments if they disagree with the humorists political viewpoints.

I don't agree with many entertainers politics but I appreciate their talents. For example, I like Ellen Degeneres' and Rosie O'Donnel's comedy but I don't agree with their ideology. I like Lewis Black and The Dixie Chicks. I don't like Bruce Springsteen but that is just a matter of musical taste. I enjoy movies in which Alec Baldwin, Susan Sarandon, Tim Robbins, Robin Williams, etc. play roles. I like Al Franken's comedy when it isn't just mean spirited Bush and U.S. bashing. The list of comedians and actors and singers who I enjoy listening to goes on and on.

It is only when they becoming activists is when I don't like them much. Still, they all have the right to speak up and let themselves be heard. They also have the right to be wrong.

I guess the thing that causes me the most distress is when they resort to personal attacks and name calling to support what they believe. I've said all that before. If you don't have the facts to back up what you believe, then do some research and find them, before you go ballistic. Instead of going ballistic. I hate to tell you liberals this but hysterical diatribes with the absence of concrete facts to back them up have no validity. None.

Look, the point is: It is possible to enjoy humor and music and entertainment without dwelling on the fact that oftimes the performer doesn't agree with your ideology. And it's ok if you do. Really.

8 comments:

Mark said...

I am really not satisfied with the content of my post today. I am under time constraints. If you post a comment and then come back later and see that it no longer applies to this post, it is because I decided to delete it and put something in that I consider more "journalistic" so to speak.

rich bachelor said...

How a person deals with disagreements speaks volumes about them. Something I've enjoyed about your responses to things I've written is that you seem to pick out an individual point of dispute, and work from there. Not everybody does it.
I don't call myself a liberal because I've known too many of them. Besides, I'm west of a lot of them politically, anyway. Radical, then? Don't like people who call themselves that either.

Erudite Redneck said...

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

rich bachelor said...

But on the other hand, I've seen a few hysterical diatribes and assertions made without any factual backing coming from the conservative side of these discussions, as well. Surely you've noticed?

Mark said...

ER, I'm sure that was a very profound thing you said because you usually are profound, but I didn't understand it.

Francis Lynn said...

Non-political humor is fine. As much as we may dislike a Rosie O'Donnell type, if she's non-politically funny - then haha. The problem comes when they use their so-called humor in vile ways, with the requisite foul mouthing to boot, to espouse their well thought out philosophies. Since they are mostly idiots when it comes to politics, it is best they stay away from this type "humor". Leno can carry it off with some respectability, but most can't.

rich bachelor said...

Leno as an example of a decent humorist? Oh, Francis...

Francis Lynn said...

Rich - not say Leno decent humorist. Said respectable.