Friday, July 29, 2005

Run, Dick, Run

I heard this on the radio yesterday: Veteran wire reporter Helen Thomas is vowing to 'kill herself' if Dick Cheney announces he is running for president.

The newspaper HILL first reported the startling claim on Thursday.

"The day Dick Cheney is going to run for president, I'll kill myself," she told the HILL. "All we need is one more liar."

Thomas added, "I think he'd like to run, but it would be a sad day for the country if he does."

Now wait. Before We get all excited, let's remember that we have heard promises such as this before. Alec Baldwin, Hollywood actor and political expert, once said during the impeachment controversy surrounding President Clinton, "We would stone Henry Hyde to death and we would go to their homes and we'd kill their wives and their children. We would kill their families..." (so much for the Liberals being the compassionate ones). Yes, the very same Alec Baldwin said he would move to France if George W. Bush was elected. He is still in Hollywood the last I heard.

Oh wait. He did explain why he didn't move. He said Bush wasn't elected, he was selected. Apparently that little loophole keeps him in this country that he hates so much. I wonder why he didn't leave the country after the next election, the outcome of which wasn't in doubt? Does anyone wonder why I don't lend any credence to what the "celiberals" say?

Quote of the day, from the Laura Ingraham show:
"The war was in 2003...is that right?"
-- Tim Robbins, on The Tavis Smiley Show.

What a moron.

But Helen Thomas is not really considered a celebrity, at least not a "Hollywood" celebrity. She is a journalist. Apparently not a very impartial journalist, but a journalist, nonetheless. This woman should be considered by her leftist friends an embarrassment, but I fear that, like Alec Baldwin, she will no doubt be given a pass on such ridiculous statements.

While I'm on the subject of celiberals, I'm sure that everyone has heard the news, by now, that Hanoi Jane Fonda is again embarrassing herself by launching a bus tour to protest the "war" in Iraq. In a bus using vegetable oil for fuel no less. When she announced a few years ago her conversion to Christianity, I believed her and, true to my Christian upbringing, I forgave her for her naive support of the other side in Viet Nam. I'm not saying that one cannot be a war protestor and a Christian at the same time, but if her latest announcement in any way supports the terrorists over her own people, I would have to say her conversion was probably not genuine.

We might have to start calling her "Hussein Jane" instead. That rolls trippingly off the tongue, doesn't it?

This brings me to another point that has long perplexed me. I have noticed, while surfing the blogwave, that often the Democrat and Liberal bloggers have often accused the same media outlets of bias as the Republican conservatives do. Of course, they accuse those outlets of being right wing and the conservatives accuse them of being left wing. How do they arrive at this conclusion? One only has to read the New York Times, Washington Post, Time, and Newsweek to see which way those organizations lean. The same can be said of NBC, CBS, CNN, and ABC. Except you have to watch and listen to them. It does little good to try to read them.

My slightly left of center (or right of center, depending on the issue) friend ER, will point out that not ALL media is liberal, and will point to his own employer as an example. And I have no reason to doubt him. In fact there are conservatives in the media, but the ones that these liberal bloggers refer to are decidely not conservative.

As I say, it is perplexing.

As I write this, I am watching (on Fox News) the swearing in of 6 soldiers who are re-enlisting because they want to voluntarily go back to Iraq and finish the job. I bet CBS isn't covering that.

OK. I don't really wish Helen Thomas will follow through with her promise. I don't wish death on anyone, unlike Alec Baldwin. But when I hear of things like this, I can't resist the urge to shout out, "Run, Dick, Run!"

But maybe it isn't asking to much for her to just retire. We really have all the extreme left wing Liberals in the media that we need, anyway.

UPDATE:
Right now, as I write, it is being reported that there have been approximately 6 explosions heard in London. Apparently they are associated with London Police raiding another suspected terrorist cell. The explosions are coming from stun grenades as the police assault barricaded suspects. At least, that's what is being reported currently. There will be much more to this story as the day wears on.

CORRECTION: I need to correct an earlier statement I made concerning Alec Baldwin and his promise to move to France. The promise I alluded to was actually made by Robert Altman. (Robert Altman remains in America too, I believe) I heard that Alec Baldwin did say he would move to France if Bush were elected but I have been unable to find that particular quote. I did find this quote which seems to suggest he may have said something, at one time, indicating that he might make that move:

"I never made that statement [about leaving the country if Pres. Bush was elected], but you can tell Gov. Bush to rest assured that I'm not going to leave the country because we have to get him out of office and we have to get his brother out of office in 2004. We're not resting until we get that done."

"Bush wasn't elected, he was selected — selected by five judges up in Washington who voted along party lines."

He's still a moron.

18 comments:

Francis Lynn said...

Helen Thomas, at 157 yrs old, has been dead for quite some time, at least in the brain cell dept. It's just that everyone has been too polite to tell her. Thomas is a non-entity in journalism as far as we are concerned. She should have been forcibly chained to a Bingo hall long ago.

Mark said...

"forcibly chained to a Bingo hall"
I like that!

Anonymous said...

Instead of donating to Cheney's campaign fund, could I just donate directly to Baldwin and Thomas for thier airfar to send them both to France?
I can't rememebr and I am not sure where to find it, but do you remember all the celebrities who said they would move to Canada if Bush won? I think I would like to post that list on my bulletiin board to give me a morning smile(or smirk if I am really being honest ab. the situation)

The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

etchen, I'd love to see a list compiled like that.

Unfortunately, I've listened to Cheney repeatedly and emphatically deny he would ever run; he just wants to spend time with the family and such and only came onboard the Bush Administration because he was asked to do so by This President.

I've also been perplexed anytime I hear about the bias in the media going the other way. Average liberals can only cite FOX News as an example; but then there are those other Lefties who claim all the mainstream media as being right wing conservative. That's insane. One of my clients was complaining to me about how easy the media has been on George Bush and lets him get away with so much. I guess these are the types who buy into the Michael Moore claims and conspiracy theories.

I've seen a number of surveys and studies conducted, and some of these coming from liberal sources, that do indicate the majority of journalists lean to the left. I don't see how anyone can really deny it.

Erudite Redneck said...

Most working press lean left. Most of their employers lean right. It's a wash.

Helen Thomas, yes, should've been put out to pasture a long time ago. However, in her day, she was a hero to lots of young journalists for always questioning authority.

When she was with UPI, she was typically unbiased, but atypically tougher'n hell, and used people's expectations -- that she would be a soft touch, because she is a woman -- to her advantage.

She got a little crazy when she quit UPI. I don't know who she works for now -- maybe herself, But she's earned the spotlight, as far as I'm concerned.

Not to upset your Amen corner here or anything. :-)

--ER

Poison Pero said...

Helen Thomas, at 157 yrs old, has been dead for quite some time, at least in the brain cell dept.

That's a little harsh Francis........You have to admit she looks good for a 157 year old crustacian.

Unfortunately, Chenney is almost as old and can't possibly run for Prez.

I'd like to have George Allen, with Condi as VP.......Unfortunately we're going to be stuck with a much worse choice.

Toad734 said...

He'll be dead by then.

Mark said...

ER, You did it! Re: she will no doubt be given a pass.

Sorry, buddy.

Mark said...

Etchen, you might check out www.celiberal.com for those quotes. That's where I found Baldwin and Altman's quotes. I am going to go there to get material to use on my weekend posts this week. It will be fun!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

If you like BBQ, check out my blog. I'm Keith Gordon. (gordiesbbnb.blogspot.com) I hope to hear from you.

Francis Lynn said...

Pero, if you think Thomas looks good, at any age, then remind me to avoid your dating service.

And Keith, I saw your site. C'mon - It is unlawful to mention pest control & BBQ in the same sentence. It is an appetite killer.

tugboatcapn said...

This from a man with his finger up his nose... ;)

Mark said...

Up his nose and thru his eye socket...yeeeech!

tugboatcapn said...

I love Helen Thomas!
She gets kookier and more entertaining every time she crawls out from under her bridge!

Mark said...

I posted this comment very early this morning. Imagine my surprise to tune in the Glen Beck Show to hear him voicing almost the exact same thoughts that I expressed on here! He even said almost exactly the same line that I used for the title. "Except he said Run, Mr. Chaney, Please run!"

I like my title better. It sounds like it came from a first grade reader.

mrs. awesome said...

my husband was SO disappointed to hear that alec baldwin stayed in the u.s. it wouldn't have been a big loss for us, let me say. how arrogant is he to think that anyone is concerned where he lives!

oh, and is anyone else seeing the great irony in sandra bernhard calling bush a dunce??!

Anonymous said...

Yeah... George bush is a better president than any of the passed presidents we've had in a long time. I suppose you like Bill Clinton better? Liberals... no THANK YOU!