Sunday, July 10, 2005

I Got Tagged

Frenzied Feline tagged me, Tech tagged her. When will it end? Not with me. Originally, I was going to let it end here but I changed my mind, it occurs to me that I would be interested in knowing what some of my friends and fellow bloggers read. Here are the questions:


1. How many books do you own?
2. What is the last book you read?
3. What is the last book you purchased?
4. Name 5 fiction books that mean a lot to you.
5. Tag 5 more people

1. How many books do you own?
I own 5 books. When I moved here it was after splitting up with my wife and I didn't bring any with me. There is a library within walking distance from where I live so if I want to read a book, I borrow one.
They are: In Cold Blood by Truman Capote, The Pleasure of My Company by Steve Martin, Flyboys by James Bradley, Mystic River by Dennis Lehane, and The Truth about Hillary by Edward Klein.

2. Last book read?
The Truth about Hillary. It just hit the stands last week!

3. Last book purchased?
See Number 2

4. Name five fiction books that mean a lot to you.
I have to cheat here. The first is the one I am writing currently by blog, A Cutting Wind, because I am trying to write it myself, Slaughterhouse 5, Breakfast of Champions, Player Piano, God Bless You Mr. Rosewater.


Oh, and I am currently reading Slander, by Ann Coulter...ER gave me the idea to go find one of her books with a comment he left in my blog. (she's hard to read, too smart for me, I guess)

5. I tag Xena, Tug, Wordsmith, Daffy, and Francis Lynn

Tag. You're it.

Note: Does anyone know if Ann Coulter and Laura Ingraham get along? They never seem to mention each other in their writings. I wonder if there is some rivalry involved.

Note 2: I went to the theater and saw War of the Worlds last week and just after I sat down, someone came up, pointed at the seat next to me, and asked, "Is this seat saved?" To which I replied, "Well, inasmuch as Aquinas reasoned that even animals have no souls, How much less chance does an inanimate object such as a chair have of achieving salvation?"

I am such a jerk.

14 comments:

The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Does anyone know if Ann Coulter and Laura Ingraham get along? They never seem to mention each other in their writings. I wonder if there is some rivalry involved.

I don't really follow Coulter that much; but I listen to Ingraham, almost religiously just to hear those Senator Byrd speeches to background music.

I have heard Ingraham mention Coulter a couple of times, I'm pretty sure, and they've been charitable comments.

Note 2: I went to the theater and saw War of the Worlds last week and just after I sat down, someone came up, pointed at the seat next to me, and asked, "Is this seat saved?" To which I replied, "Well, inasmuch as Aquinas reasoned that even animals have no souls, How much less chance does an inanimate object such as a chair have of achieving salvation?"

I'm stealing that! That is plain funny. How was the movie? I hate remakes and I hate scientology, but I do have an inclination to see the movie.

The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

As for the other stuff, I'll have to respond after work.

Mark said...

Wordsmith, I enjoyed the movie, although it didn't follow the book as much as I would have liked. I would have to say it was entertaining at least, good special effects, but when compared to the The Lord of The Rings trilogy, not that good, but of course nothing measures up to those.

But then, I like Robert Byrd, too. Really. I could listen to his stories of his childhood in West Virginia all day and it would make me happy. Kind of reminds me of my own childhood in Kansas.

Erudite Redneck said...

Ha! Another answer to the "Is this seat saved?" question, understandable perhaps only to Baptists and other evangelicals, is:

"No, but it's under conviction."

;-)

tugboatcapn said...

To Quote the great and learned philosopher Larry the cable guy,
"That's funny right there, I don't care who Y'are!!"

tugboatcapn said...

Lord, I apologize for that last comment, and be with those starving pigmies down there in New Guinea...

Mark said...

Amen

The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

I wouldn't go so far as to say I like Robert Byrd. But I would certainly miss the ol' fossil if he weren't out on the Senate Floor. I find him entertaining in a fuddy-dud-kind-of-way.

He's your stereotypical old person.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for not letting it end here. I was going to let it end at my place, but decided I could do something, at the very least. Let it not be said I didn't do the least I could do. ;)

The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Well...I'm not a fan of these "e-mail forward chain letters" type thing...so it's not going on my blog (yes I'm a spoil-sport, but no one but Mark knows about my blog, really, anyway....by the way, how the deuces did you find my blog, Mark? Moments after my first post you responded and I have yet to advertise the blog).

But I'll respond to the questions in here:

1. How many books do you own?

How on earth can I tally that? That's like asking how many songs do you own. Next.


2. What is the last book you read?

Not sure...I'm in the middle of several books at once. Richard Miniter's Shadow War, for one. Last one I put down.

3. What is the last book you purchased?

I believe South Park Conservatives by Brian Anderson. Although I could be mistaken.

4. Name 5 fiction books that mean a lot to you.


Three Musketeers, by Alexandre Dumas

Les Miserables, Victor Hugo

The Hobbit, J.R.R. Tolkien

The Chronicles of Narnia, C.S. Lewis

Le Morte D'Arthur, Sir Thomas Malory

Dana said...

Mark, you are too funny. How did the person react to your comments about the saved seat?

I'm hurt you didn't tag me. Just kidding.

Mark said...

Dana, I wanted to tag you but the list only said tag 5 people, but if you want to give your list too, than by all means, we are all waiting to hear them, with bated breath. And that doesn't mean we've been eating worms.

Anonymous said...

Mark, your comment to that person has to be the most obnoxious(no offense meant) and hysterical thing I have ever heard in my life. I am stealing it for you and am anxiously awaiting my first chance to use it! Thanks for the great laugh.

Francis Lynn said...

Re the tag list -
1. Own 400+ books. Not counting ones I gave away over the years.
2. Last read "Last of the Mohicans"
3. Last book purchased was today! "Founding Brothers" by Joseph J. Ellis
4. 5 books that mean a lot to me? In what way? Most entertainng was 8 volume "Kent Family Chronicles" by John Jakes - covers 1770 - 1870 of a family. Also, "The Hobbit" & "Lord of the Rings" trilogy. I'm sure I'm forgetting some good ones.