Monday, July 04, 2005

Happy Independence Day

I put an audio post in this spot of Ray Charles' version of "America the Beautiful" but the sound quality was horrible, so I deleted it. Go get a copy of that song and play it while you read this post and you'll have the effect I wanted. This is what he sang:


Oh beautiful for heroes proved,
In liberating strife,
Who more than self, our country loved,
And mercy more than life,

America, America may God thy gold refine,
Til all success be nobleness
And every gain devined.

And you know when I was in school,
We used to sing it something like this, listen here:

Oh beautiful, for spacious skies,
For amber waves of grain,
For purple mountain majesties,
Above the fruited plain,

But now wait a minute, I'm talking about
America, sweet America
You know, God done shed his grace on thee,
He crowned thy good, yes he did, in brotherhood,
From sea to shining sea.

You know, I wish I had somebody to help me sing this
(America, America, God shed his grace on thee)
America, I love you America, you see,
My God he done shed his grace on thee,
And you oughta love him for it,
Cause he, he, he ,he crowned thy good,
He told me he would, with brotherhood,
(From sea to shining Sea).
Oh lord, oh lord, I thank you Lord
(Shining sea).

Happy Independence Day, and may God bless you.

5 comments:

tugboatcapn said...

Can anyone deny that America was founded on Christian principals? Everything in our founding documents, all of our national songs, the National Anthem, even the Pledge of Alleigence points to a national belief in God, and a national gratitude for the blessings He has bestowed on us as a nation.
Happy Independence Day to you as well!!

Jamie Dawn said...

Happy 4th of July to you!
Ben Stein's article is great. I thoroughly enjoyed it!

The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

It's a great rendition of the song.

The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

I uploaded the song for you here: http://s5.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2XI0PKVZDPEYW1UE4Q7OVSS98B

Sound quality might be better than the one you have; so now you can upload it.

How do you add audio by the way? It seems like I need to do it through my phone and audioblogger. Or is there another way?

Mark said...

Yes, Wordsmith, I have the song on cd, and I played it to my cell phone thru audio blogger but the sound qyality was horrid. There is another way cause there are other blogs that play music as soon as you open them up, bit I don't know how they do it.