Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father's Day 2011

"And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord." ~ Ephesians 6:4



When I was a teenager, I was convinced my father was the stupidest man in the world. When I was in my twenties, with kids of my own, I was surprised how much the old man had learned in only about 10 years.

He is in Heaven now.

Today, in my late 50's (very late. I'm 59), with my 5 kids all grown up and with kids of their own, I realize that I am much more like my father than I ever thought or wanted to be.

But, it's OK. I kind of like myself now.

And, I love my father.

Happy Father's Day to all of you fathers out there in Blogland.

6 comments:

Trader Rick said...

Happy Fathers day, Mark!!!! Have a bloody Mary on me!

Z said...

what a WONDERFUL post...I hope you're having a terrific day, Mark! xxx

Jim said...

Happy Father's Day, everyone!

Always On Watch said...

Maybe it's a daughter thing, but I never thought my father stupid.

At one point, when I was in college and got a bit arrogant about the fact that Dad dropped out of high school (Great Depression), I found out just how self-educated my father was when he helped me through a couple of difficult literature and history courses.

My father used to read the encyclopedia "for fun," as well as many other materials.

I miss Dad. He left us in 1998.

I especially missed Dad yesterday, which would have been Dad's 100th birthday and falling on Father's Day.

Always On Watch said...

Mark,
You're 59? So am I!

Trader Rick said...

TIME FOR NEW BLOG...