Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Corruption Triumphs In Jersey

The results of yesterdays elections in many states are in and the Democratic party has scored a resounding victory. The Democratic candidates for Governor won in New Jersey and in Virginia, as well as the mayoral election in New York City. In California, all of Governor Arnold Swartzenegger's proposals were defeated.

Fox news reports: "Democratic Sen. Jon Corzine easily won the New Jersey governor's seat after an expensive, mudslinging campaign, trouncing Republican Doug Forrester by 10 percentage points. Polls in the last week had forecast a much closer race".

While I have to admit I haven't closely followed the Gubernatorial race in New Jersey, this news particuarly disturbs me. Corzine is the U.S. Senator that, according to Wikipedia, "forgave a $470,000 loan to his onetime girlfriend, Carla Katz, the head of a large state employee union, Communications Workers of America Local 1034. Corzine's ex-wife told The New York Times that Corzine "let his family down, and he'll probably let New Jersey down, too." Corzine said their relationship with Katz had ended and would not affect his decisions as governor".

No, of course it won't. Their relationship has ended. Who do you suppose will be the next beneficiary of Corzine's infactuations? Business Owner Maria Yglesias says:

"[Jon Corzine] has the necessary skills to combat New Jersey's fiscal problems..."

How in the world does she arrive at that conclusion, knowing what we do about his ill-placed generosity? Perhaps she's hoping that if she vocally supports him, he will shuttle some of his apparent disposable income to her.

Additionally, I have wondered since I first heard of this scandal involving Ms. Katz whether it was taxpayers money that he so generously gave away. I have been unable to find any information about that. Is it just me or does anyone else smell a conflict of interest here?

Well, you know? I don't care. That is New Jersey. The Garden State. I've never been to New Jersey and with Governors like Corzine, I don't think I want to go. Well, maybe I would go, on my way to New York, but I certainly wouldn't want to live there. New Jersey is already notorious for blatant corruption in the Gubernatorial office, and I don't see anything changing in that regard.

Time will tell, I suppose, but if past behavior is any indication, New Jersey is in for a few more years of corruption and scandal. But, hey, The people have spoken. They have to live with the consequences.

I don't.

But I feel sorry for Francis Lynn.

6 comments:

Jaymeister said...

I' have to do more research on Corzine to make an opinion there. But you got one thing wrong: Michael Bloomberg was re-elected mayor of New York City. He's a Republican, or at least as Republican as you can be in New York.

Mark said...

I stand corrected. He seems so Democrat I was fooled.

Francis Lynn said...

Mark- thank you for your condolences. Living in the Gay Governor state is certainly an experience. Louisiana has nothing on NJ as far as corruption. We hone it to a fine art. In fact, I think they are building a Fine Art of Corruption Museum in Trenton to highlight NJ's finest & best public thieves & cronies. If you wanna get rich in NJ, get political or at least be a relative or friend to a politician. But we've got nice tomatos.

Anonymous said...

Hey! You give Francis Lynn your condolences, but not me?? Poor little ol' me having to survive out here on the left(ist) coast? ;)

Lone Ranger said...

You gotta stop watching the news. There was no resounding victory. The Dems didn't win the governorships of NJ and VA, they held on to them. And a Republican won the deputy governor slot in VA. The Democrats must be really desperate to describe treading water as a huge defeat for Republicans. At any rate, the real power in Virginia is in the Republican-controlled legislature. They're going to keep a really tight choke-chain on this liberal. As for New Jersey, if I had a hundred million dollars, I could buy a Senate seat and a govenorship too. With that kind of loot, you have to wonder why this guy even wants to be governor. I guess power is the ultimate goal for liberals. I'm just amazed why liberals vote for rich guys. I thought they hated the wealthy.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.