Thursday, October 04, 2007

Support The Troops

"They also serve, who only stand and wait" ~ John Milton

I have mentioned in the past that I do door-to-door fund raising for volunteer fire and rescue departments. Last night I spoke to man who informed me his son works for a fire department and he supports them. Feeling encouraged by that statement, I proceeded to explain to him the suggested donation amount, and to whom to write the check.

At that point, he interrupted me to say, "No, thanks", turned, and slammed the door in my face.

I walked away wondering about that abbreviated conversation. How can one say they support a volunteer fire department and then refuse to submit even a small donation? Is that really support? If he truly supports the fire department, in what other ways can they be supported? Does he, upon meeting a member of the fire department, pat him on the back and say, "Attaboy"? Is that what he means by using the word, "support"?

And then, I thought further. I say I support the troops. Republicans say they support the troops. Democrats say they support the troops. Most Americans say they support the troops. But what do we mean by that? Do we really support our troops? If so, how?

I don't really have an answer. I suppose for my part, I mean I don't call them baby killer or spit on them. I don't hate the troops, by any means. I have great respect for the troops. I passionately defend the troops upon hearing them being denigrated, but in what other ways can I be supportive?

How do you support the troops?

How can our Democrat controlled Congress honestly say they support the troops while denigrating them? Democrats have called them Nazi's, Soviets in their Gulags, and pawns of a Pol Pot type regime.

How is calling them Nazi's supportive?

They have called them cold blooded murderers in front of America.

How is calling them murderers supportive?

They have accused our soldiers of terrorizing innocent Iraqi women and children in the dead of night.

How is calling them terrorists supportive?

Hillary Clinton told General Petreaus his report to Congress "requires the willing suspension of disbelief".

How is calling General Petreaus a liar supporting the troops?

Now Harry Reid is accusing Rush Limbaugh of calling the troops "phony soldiers". He knows Rush was only referring to one soldier, who has been proven a phony, yet he stands on the floor of the Senate and lies to America.

Harry Reid is attempting to discredit Rush, who has been a strong supporter of the troops for decades, by accusing him of something he never said.

It is much more credible to suggest Harry Reid might call the troops phony than Rush Limbaugh.

Harry Reid doesn't support the troops. Harry Reid has said we have already lost the war.

How is that supporting the troops?

Several Senators and Congressmen, all Democrats, voted against additional funds and equipment for our troops. The same People who claim they support the troops. In what world is denying them the tools to do their jobs a move which signals support for the troops?

The Democrats do not support the troops.

16 comments:

Cameron said...

Politicians like Senator Reid think Iraq is lost and unsalvageable; have thought so for years, really. So the logic in supporting the troops is to take them out of harms way, since it's no use anyhow.

Since they can't remove the troops through normal means, they have tried various back-door strategies to force it to happen. They've tried cutting funding, or tying funding to withdrawal timetables. They've used media soundbites to change public opinion, like Sen. Reid's false assertion that we've already lost. They've kicked and screamed at every move, and then complained about slow progress.

But I don't think it's because all of these politicians hate the military. They believe the war is lost, and the best way to take care of the soldiers is to bring them home.

Their efforts to undermine the war, by their very nature, do not support the troops. But they don't think that.

The biggest problem I have is when good news and good people who do still think Iraq is salvageable get ignored and/or mistreated. The danger with Sen. Reid's position is that he faces grave political consequences when there is success in Iraq. So there is obviously great pressure to not be objective.

Marie's Two Cents said...

Every time you post a story about something good happening in Iraq about our Soldiers you are supporting the Troops Mark.
(The Troops read our Blogs)

Every time you buy Boca Java Coffee and Cookies to send to the Troops you are supporting our Troops.

Every time you donate to a fallen Soldiers family and/or college fund dedicated to putting our Fallen Soldiers kids through College you are Supporting the Troops.

Things that may seem small to us, are really massive when it comes to the Troops because there are thousands more just like you donating to the same cause.

This thing with Rush Limbaugh is a complete lie and utter fabrication of the truth.

I have this explained in detail over at my place.

Support Our Troops, Support Victory!!

Abouna said...

I don't see how any thing the Democrats say or do can be viewed as support for our troops or even as being patriotic.

As far as supporting our troops, I think that those who do not have the financial means to donate or to blog,for and about our troops, but pray for them on a daily basis, are supporting our troops.

Lone Ranger said...

A lot of people (shallow-thinking liberals) think the war is lost because our corrupt liberal media simply do not report our victories. How can a war be lost if we have not lost a SINGLE battle?? Were FDR running this war, these treacherous defeatists would all be locked in prison camps. That is not what I am suggesting, I am merely pointing out that it is what happens when a Democrat runs a war.

Marie's Two Cents said...

Abouna,

You made a major point I forgot all about, if all you can do is pray for the Troops, that is supporting our Troops :-)



Lone Ranger brings up a great point also:

How can a war be lost if we have not lost a SINGLE battle??

Not only have we won every single battle, how can we lose a war when we have Air Superiority?


Having a Democrat run the War on Terror would be a complete disaster. They are so beholden to the MoveOn.org crowd and Media Matters and those people, it would be a real mess.

Anonymous said...

How do I support the troops?

While I've adopted a soldier I personally know by sending care packages every 10 days, there are organizations to help you connect directly with soldiers, when you don't personally know any:

Soldiers' Angels

Operation Adopt A Soldier

Adopt-A-Soldier Now

There are plenty more, just do a search for "adopt a soldier".

I also provide returning wounded soldiers with Sew Much Comfort.

If you can't sew, there are plenty of other organizations helping wounded soldiers:

Wounded Soldiers

Wounded Warrior Project

Freedom Alliance

I've only scratched the surface here, but there's plenty we can do.

Get out there and do it!

Eric said...

I knew it instinctively before ever hearing about Lone Ranger and reading "Stop the Republicans" but it's taken personal blogging and paying very close attention to everything the Liberals have to say for it to really sink in.

Men like Reid, Durbin, Kennedy, et al, are the lowest form of pond scum-- let's not forget about the women! And not a single one of us can afford to let a single Democrat lie get by.

To all of you... Keep up the good work. THAT is supporting our troops. It is THEIR job to fight in Iraq and Afghanistan and wherever the fight takes this nation, but it is our job to fight here, against all the subversive anti-patriots in the frightening position to affect public and foreign policy.

Our fight is every bit as important as theirs. Ask any soldier, and they'll tell you the same.

Btw, I too have blogged quite a bit on the Limbaugh/Media Matters Imbroglio, and I am dumbfounded by the Left's inability to find and read transcripts of Rush's comments. But then 'TRUTH' is not something the Left particularly cares about. 'Power' that's what passes for Champagne and Caviar on the Left, and they don't care how many people or unborn children* they have to destroy to get and keep it.

----
* Sorry, just had to throw that last jab in.

Erudite Redneck said...

Phtth. Most, not all, Dems do not support the commander in chief of the armed forces, or his hand-picked toadies, like Petraus. That's all. That's plenty.

Eric said...

Petraeus-- Hand-picked Bush "toadie" unanimously confirmed BY s Senate controlled by Democrats...

Phtth! to you too ER

Lone Ranger said...

By the way, on the subject of charity, I don't like to be solicited, I like to plan my donations. Just because I might say no to someone asking for a contribution does not mean I'm cheap or don't support that charity. I give thousands to charities every year. I might give to that charity already. Or I might give to some other cause. There are so many causes, that I can't even keep track of them, much less give to them. Every once in awhile I see a military person eating out with his wife or colleagues and pick up their check. I also have sent phone cards to Iraq, donated to the USO, etc.

That reminds me, it's time to buy my annual water buffalo.

Marie's Two Cents said...

Mark,

I dont know if Reverand K dropped you a line or not but Francis Lynn from "America Values Under Attack" has passed away.

He will be missed

Eric said...

Whoa! That's sad news indeed!

Trader Rick said...

Help! I am trapped in a dial up hell that won't let me get anywhere!

But I finally got HERE. Took so long I forgot what I was going to say...

I do know that I DO support the president and his hand-picked toadies, tho. The thing I don't get about these 21st century democrats--I can understand why they hate capitalism, hate God, hate morality in general, hate human life, hate democracy and freedom, but why do they hate their HOMELAND???? Makes no sense to me. Maybe ER can elaborate.

Al-Ozarka said...

"That is not what I am suggesting..."
LR

Well...why the hell AREN'T you suggesting it?

Did you know that Sandy Burglar is advising the Clinton Campaign and that there is talk of him as her SecState?

We'd better start doing SOMETHING or the traitors are going to win the election!

Al-Ozarka said...

Marie's,

I'm floored! I enjoyed his comments here at "Pearls" and am saddened at the news.

Eric said...

Yes, the news that Sandy Berger has been hired by the Clinton campaign is astounding. Traitors... I used to hesitate assigning that label to the New Democrat, but I can't find a more appropriate word to use.

A man who criminally stole, defaced, and destroyed classified documents... what we have here is a frighteningly clear glimpse into the future Clinton White House. And America may not be able to recover; turning the tide after another 8 years of "HillBilly" as Commander-in-Chief may well be impossible.