Saturday, January 29, 2011

How A Liberal Solves Annoyances

"Where you find the laws most numerous, there you will find also the greatest injustice." ~ Arcesilaus

My Liberal Doctor (PhD Education) nephew often unintentionally gives me fodder for blogposts. Just reading his short Facebook status reports give me a unique insight into the Liberal mind. Here is his latest:

"I hereby decree: those who cannot park their Earth Bruisers in one space, drive them in one lane, or reach up high enough to brush the snow off their tops shall not be allowed to operate them."

Some points found within this short statement are singularly noted. First (and I may be wrong, but am pretty sure I'm not), I believe his term, "Earth Bruisers", is used to describe SUV's, and other similar large gas guzzling vehicles. He has swallowed the Liberal line that SVU's are destructive to this sensitive planet, and thus, are evil.

Incidentally, my only problem with people who drive SUV's is their apparent belief that their vehicles are made of glass. Of course, this is a generalization, so it doesn't apply to all SUV drivers. But, many of them are absolutely the slowest, most careful drivers I've ever seen, particularly in inclement weather. They drive as if one little bump in the road has the potential to shatter their vehicle. I was following one of them most of the way home last night, and I swear, the driver never drove over 25 mph in a 45 mph speed zone(and the roadway was dry), and almost came to a dead stop before crawling painfully slowly over a railroad track. "Oh, my God! You're driving a TANK! It's not going to BREAK if you hit a PEBBLE!"

But I digress.

Another point gleaned from my beloved nephew's short comment is his wish to create yet another law (or laws) with which to regulate our private lives. The idea that if something someone does annoys him, they should simply not be allowed to be annoying.

This is typical of Liberal thought, and what I consider a major pillar in the Liberal ideology:

"People are too stupid to take care of themselves, so the Liberal intelligentsia must take care of them, for them."

So, make a law.

As I've often said, people have a right to be stupid. While I agree with my dear relative that people who drive SUV's should drive them more responsibly and intelligently, passing laws to regulate them is overstepping our bounds.

You want to stop irresponsibility? Teach and encourage people to be responsible.

I understand that. Seemingly, Liberals don't.

The Jewish people in Jesus' time had so many oppressive laws it was virtually impossible to go from day to day without breaking several in the everyday course of their lives.

It would seem the modern American Liberal wants to bring those days of over oppressive laws back.

10 comments:

Trader Rick said...

You want slow? Try getting behind some 80 year old asshole here in Florida texting while driving. Thank goodness every other dadgum road in the whole county is an 8 lane limited access race course!!! or we'd never get anywhwere!

Jim said...

A silly post. You are asserting that you have never opined that people who do something that annoys you should not be allowed to do what annoys you?

BB-Idaho said...

"Incidentally, my only problem with people who drive SUV's is their apparent belief that their vehicles are made of glass. Of course, this is a generalization, so it doesn't apply to all SUV drivers. But, many of them are absolutely the slowest, most careful drivers I've ever seen, particularly in inclement weather." Tell ya why..in
my case, back some decades,
I got me a '67 Toyota Landcruiser. Great for 4 wheeling into fishing places along remote rivers.
Could hardly wait for the first big blizzard. Minneapolis got a good one.
Roads were all closed; that thing went through 2 ft blowing snow and 4 foot drifts. Come Monday morning, I hit the freeway heading for work, glare ice. With four wheels spinning, I passed the poor souls timidly easing along at 20mph. Before long, though, I was doing
65 in the passing lane, but
GOING SIDEWAYS. Timid soul in the right lane grinned and offered his
one finger salute. Ever after, I used the thing for
mucking muskeg swamps, pulling stuck fishermen out and bushwacking the Trade River for trout.
If you see "an old duffer poking along in the apparent belief that his vehicle is made of glass."
that would be me and my
five on the floor Ram 1500
...acting my advanced age!

Mark said...

BB, you don't seem to mind going off road, which is many times more rough on your vehicle than driving over a railroad track. If you drive over railroad tracks like you think your truck will break, but take it off-road four wheeling, and you don't think it will break then, How do you explain the difference in how you treat it?

But that isn't my point. Some Liberal might someday be annoyed with the way you drive, and instead of merely offering you the one finger salute, might actually try to push for legislation outlawing the way you prefer to drive.

Would you want me to do that instead of simply remarking on how silly you are?

And Jim, yes, I am asserting that I have never suggested we pass laws requiring people to stop being annoying. I have, however, suggested that those people use their right to decide they just don't want to be annoying anymore.

I think allowing them to choose to be annoying or not is more democratic, don't you?

Mark said...

You know an 80 year old that texts? In my experience, few, if any, octogenarians know how to text, much less actually do it.

tugboatcapn said...

On the "Earth Bruiser" point, I have a Ford Expedition, and I promise you that nine out of ten self righteous Liberals use more gas with their Eco-Buggies than my Expedition does.

We bought it to serve a purpose, and it serves it's purpose better than any other type of vehicle would.

For the way we use it, it was the vehicle that made the most economic sense, and I ran the numbers. (Incidentally, it gets about the same gas mileage as our four cylinder 2007 Nissan Altima did, and we could almost load the Nissan in it and take it with us.)

If I take it easy over Rail Road tracks and such, it is because I have little children in the truck, and I don't want to jostle them too much.

People who believe that they know what I need better than I do can try minding their own business for a change.

That is, unless they want to give me a turn deciding which behaviors of theirs to outlaw.

Trader Rick said...

"You know an 80 year old that texts? In my experience, few, if any, octogenarians know how to text, much less actually do it."

Yeah , Mark, you're right. Maybe they're just nodding off, until their chin hits their chest. But I sure do wish I didn't have to give the finger to all the dumb blond trophy wives that I can verify ARE texting from my high up Wrangler, in their little foreign convertibles, weaving all over the road...

Anonymous said...

I think if you had just laid down $50,000 on an SUV, you would treat it like it was made of glass as well.

:)

Mark said...

At least Jim responds to the point of the post rather than waste a comment on my digression.

My personal feelings regarding SUV drivers in general is beside the point. My point is this: If you don't like SUV's, it's stupid to create a law outlawing them which is what a Liberals solution to that particular annoyance would be.

And, BB? I used to own a four wheel drive vehicle, and I knew long before I bought it that it wouldn't navigate on ice. Thinking four wheel drive helps on ice is just stupid.

Edwin Drood said...

When is the last time a liberal tried to solve a problem without trying to ban something?