Monday, May 26, 2008

Mixed Feelings

"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." ~ Sir Winston Churchill

Today being Memorial Day, I feel I must create some sort of tribute for the men and women who have fallen in the service of our country. I found a wonderful such tribute in a magazine I picked up in the church lobby a couple of weeks ago, and I was going to use it as a basis for my post, but I lost the magazine. So, I was going to fly solo.

Then, this morning, when I sat down at the keyboard, I first had to visit Lone Ranger's blog, which has become a daily first stop for me. There I found a link back to an entry on Tug's blog, which, before his long sabbatical, used to be the other one I never failed to visit daily.

LR's right (as usual). It is an excellent article about Senator Edward M. Kennedy's recent discovery of a brain tumor. So, then, I just had to write the blog post I had considered writing but didn't. Since becoming domesticated, I just haven't been able to find the time to write anything. Here is my comment on Tug's piece (read his first):

I too, wanted to write something about Kennedy's brain tumor and inevitable death.

I too, wanted to write something compassionate without expressing glee at the promise of his exit from the Senate and the world.

I too, hoped to refrain from behaving like a Liberal when expressing my thoughts on the impending demise of this man.

I too, feel a sense of sorrow at the travails of a fellow human being in a time of great personal trial. I wanted to express that sense of sorrow with my comment without celebrating his debilitating illness.

After all, I am a Christian and I do have compassion for all of God's creatures. I really can hate the sin without hating the sinner. Really.

I can and I do.

I can also forgive and often do. Even when I am not asked forgiveness. It is how I've managed to stay sane.

That said, do you want to know what my first thoughts were when I heard the news of Kennedy's tumor? Here they are:

Usually when one is diagnosed with some some terminal illness and knows he has little time left to live, one wants to beg forgiveness, both to God and man, for whatever real or perceived sins one has committed in the course of their life. Particularly Catholics, who feel they must do penance for their sins.

With that in mind, I wonder if Teddy has asked God for forgiveness for his murder of Mary Jo Kopechne and the many other transgressions he has committed in his life.

So far, it doesn't appear he has yet begged forgiveness from man.

I do know one thing for sure: When he at last finds himself on his knees, and has to give account of his life before God, he will most assuredly beg.

Here is the one compassionate thing I will say in his behalf:

May God have mercy on his soul.

6 comments:

Marshal Art said...

Mark,

I think you go too far in calling Kennedy a murderer for the unfortunate demise of Kopeckni. The event don't match the definition unless info comes out that proves he deliberately sought her death for personal gain. I think the law provides for a more accurate term to apply to what happened there. I don't seek to defend his actions on that night, but you said you wanted to refrain from acting like a liberal. It looks like you fell a bit short of that goal in using the term here. Forgive me if it seems I'm rippin' on ya. Not my intent at all.

Despite my own opinions on Kennedy and his positions, I think we have to acknowledge that he did serve his country. He comes from extreme wealth and could have spent his life only drinking and whoring about. But he chose to serve, such as he did. Only he and his God know for sure his motivations in doing so, but serve he did, even if so very poorly. There will be plenty of time to lambast his work. For now, I don't feel it's necessary to speak poorly of him as he meets this sorry end, should it indeed be so. Just my humble opinion.

Jim said...

You awful, hateful person! You sanctimonious hypocrite!

Senator Kennedy did not murder Miss Kopecne. There isn't one shred of evidence that he did. Kopecne's death was a tragic accident. It happened on a dark night, a narrow bridge and involved alcohol. This is not murder.

Even so, you can bet that Senator Kennedy as asked forgiveness from her family, from God, and from Mary Jo herself. He's Catholic and I'm sure he has confessed and done penance and I'm sure he still grieves for Mary Jo and of course regrets his responsibility for the terrible accident. You have no clue and no evidence otherwise. None!

And what other transgressions has he supposedly committed that you demand that he beg forgiveness for? You know nothing.

"he will most assuredly beg."

You are a sanctimonious hypocrite! Let he who is without sin...

Trader Rick said...

We are privileged to be able to be the recipients of the thoughts of Jim, one who obviously is very close to the Senator and and has shared his most intimate feelings with him.

But as such a close confident of the Senator, shouldn't he be afraid that he's disclosing a little too much of the Senator's innermost private thoughts? Being part of the Senator's entourage carries certain duty to descretion I would think, but then, not being an insider to a famous person, I can't really know.

But thanks for your kind and insightful input, Jim.

Mark said...

Jim, you say, "Senator Kennedy did not murder Miss Kopecne. There isn't one shred of evidence that he did. Kopecne's death was a tragic accident".

The reason there isn't "one shred" of evidence is because little about the so-called accident was actually investigated. Mary Jo's parents curiously refused to have their daughter autopsied, which, for most parents whose daughter had been killed under extremely suspicious circumstances would have been SOP.

One could easily suppose the Kennedys, with their vast amount of fiduciary resources and political power had a great deal to do with the Kopechne's decision not to question the extremely limited investigation done by Kennedy influenced law enforcment.

Here is my theory on what would have been determined by said autopsy:

1. Mary Jo was pregnant by Mr. Kennedy.

2. Death would have been discovered to hae been caused by either someone holding her head under water until drowned, or, more likely, blunt force trauma to the head.

But fortunately for Teddy, his money and power were just too overpowering and the Kopechne's decided to just drop the whole thing and fade into history.
And then, incredibly, Jim says, "Even so, you can bet that Senator Kennedy as asked forgiveness from her family, from God, and from Mary Jo herself. He's Catholic and I'm sure he has confessed and done penance and I'm sure he still grieves for Mary Jo and of course regrets his responsibility for the terrible accident. You have no clue and no evidence otherwise."

I'll take that bet. You are safe making it, though as you and I both know, we will never know for sure. I don't believe Kennedy has any moral character at all, and my logic in my beliefs is every bit as logical as yours. More, in fact.

Then Jim says, "And what other transgressions has he supposedly committed that you demand that he beg forgiveness for?"

You have got to be kidding, right? First of all, I didn't demand he beg for forgiveness. I said I wonder if he has. But, to answer your question, lets start with the waitress sandwich the married Kennedy made with Chris Dodd, and then follow his drunken exploits throughout his lifetime, and then culminate them all with the tons of legislation he pushed through that undermined the military, education, health care, and this country.

And yes, Jim, he will most assuredly beg, as will I, and as will you.

Thanks, Jim. I tried to be respectful to the man, but your defense of the indefensible has proven the folly of attempting to be respectful to that pathetic excuse for a human being. And through your defense of him, you have placed yourself in the same class.

Abouna said...

Mark, all I can add is Amen.

Ted Kennedy does have much to atone for, as do we all, but for Jim to proclaim that Ted Kennedy is a Catholic, is a real stretch. Kennedy may grace a Catholic Church with his august presence, but he certainly was no Catholic. According to canons of the Church (unless they have been dispensed with) any Catholic who supports, performs, assists at, has or advocates for abortion is ipso facto excommunicated.

Lone Ranger said...

If anyone wants the FACTS on the Chappaquiddick cover up, you can find them in the book, Senatorial Privilege. It is the best book I have seen on the subject.

Driving drunk off a bridge into a tidal pool can be considered an "accident" by some. I consider it at the very least manslaughter. But, for a good swimmer like Kennedy not to try to save her and not to make ANY attempt to get help, was most certainly murder. I personally think we should erect a statue of Mary Jo on the National Mall. She is the one person who has stood between Teddy and the White House. She should be given the same veneration as Joan of Arc or Mother Teresa.