Monday, November 10, 2008

Untroubled Waters

"When troublesome waters are rolling so high,
I lift up my voice and to heaven, I cry:
'Lord, I am trusting. Give guidance to me,
And steady my boat on life's troubled sea.'

Then gently I'm feeling the touch of his hand,
Guiding my boat in safely to land.
Leading the way to heaven's bright shore,
Where troublesome waters I'm fearing no more."
~ Iris Dement

Here is a photo I took with my fairly cheap Kodak Easy Share digital camera:

In case you can't tell, the untroubled lake creates a mirror image of the trees above it on shore. My wife says it is the best of all the photos I took on this particular memory card. I'm not so sure. Here are some others. I'm thinking of making one of these photos the wallpaper on my desktop, but I haven't yet made up my mind which one. What do you think?


The above photo was taken a few weeks earlier than the others. The leaves hadn't started to change colors yet. Not that you can tell anyway.


This photo, and the one below it were taken at a different location. The one on top is kind of spoiled by the prescence of houses in the background. I've always been kind of a purist when it comes to landscapes. I don't like people, or anything man-made in them, but without trekking through acres of weeds and underbrush, it's hard to find places unspoiled by civilization. I prefer to take pictures of interesting sights I see as I drive.

I like the one below better, but the reflection of the sun was a little too bright.


The above was taken at the same location as the first one, but from a few steps to the right.

So, which photo do you think would make the best wallpaper?


UPDATE:

By the way, I have been invited to be part of a brand new team blog called American Descent, although I have no idea why. I was flattered to be asked, anyway. I have put a link to it on my sidebar with a fancy shmancy thing-a-ma-jig. (it's the thing-a-ma-jig at the top of my sidebar) In the upcoming days, I will be editing my blogroll. It is getting too long, and there are some blogs on it that I rarely visit anymore, and some that rarely visit mine, if at all. Those will go. The new and favorite ones will, of course, stay.

6 comments:

Al-Ozarka said...

Mark, the last photo (different angle) is my favorite. The way it is frames makes it even more interesting than the purely fall-foliage photo at the top. Use it!

I haven't got to get out much to get Autumn shots this year, although I think this one is pretty cool!

It was an hour before sunset, hazy, and I didn't have my tripod. But the view is spectacular and looks over one of my favorite areas of the county.

Al-Ozarka said...

BTW, if you didn't already know...my passion for politics has been all but replaced with a passion for Izard County.

Joe said...

I like the first one best.

I'll check out the new digs soon.

Ms.Green said...

I like the second one, with the clouds.

blamin said...

Congratulations,

I don’t know how prevalent this particular blog is, but someone has to keep up the fight!

Cameron said...

I like the last one, as well as the one with the houses.

Congrats on the invite to the group blog.