Tuesday, December 05, 2006

More To The Story?

"Silence is a text easy to misread." ~ A. A. Attanasio

Today is my birthday. My fiancee, Patti, gave me a real leather Kansas City Chiefs jacket, an official NFL product. I will admit that it is my favorite of the gifts I recieved. She also gave me some Christmas themed boxer shorts and two Izod brand shirts. My son gave me the Seinfeld 7th season collection on DVD. Great choice!

I've never received so many gifts for one birthday. I feel positively wealthy today!

Unlike previous year's birthdays when I have said, "I don't feel any older", this year, I do. Aches and pains and periods of no patience mixed with periods of infinite patience, and being set in my ways. I must have reached the point of no return or something. (sigh)

Comes now a story via AOL news which epitomizes the reason I started my blog in the first place. Regular readers will no doubt remember that I have repeatedly stated my reason for creating this blog was to make comments on news stories that tend to make me say "What the...?"

Apparently, a television actor who I never heard of was involved in an automobile collision in which a 17 year old boy was killed. The story tells us that his SUV jumped a curb, collided with a tree, and three under 18 teens were injured, one fatally.

I smell a rat!

The story does not explain why three teenagers are riding around Hollywood at midnight with an adult.

Were these people partying? Were they inebriated? Were they on a double date? It seriously seems to me, based on what little information we are provided with, that Mr. Garrison may have been up to something unseemly.

Look at what we know so far:

4 people in a car. Late at night. 1 of the people being a 26 year old adult male. The others being 2 15 year old girls and one 17 year old boy.

Maybe it's my natural skepticism, but those particular facts send up a red flag as far as I'm concerned.

I think there needs to be some investigation as to the actors intentions and his habits.

Of course, it is Hollywood, and that means if there is something immoral going on here, it will no doubt be swept under the proverbial rug and not much will be heard about this again.

It is a tragedy that a 17 year old boy lost his life. I hope I don't appear to be minimizing that tragic fact. But there certainly seems to be an undercurrent of additional tragedy in this story.

I hope I am wrong.

11 comments:

Francis Lynn said...

Happy Birthday, Mark - just think, you're one year closer to death - enjoy the day lol. I'm sure the actor saw these teenagers roaming the streets & as is want with Hollywood types, he was concerned & decided to bring them to their parent's.

Anonymous said...

You point is well taken, possibly we don't take concern about our children and their friends as we should, if I recall this was called parenting, and it's lack thereof is certainly not exclusive to Hollywood. We live in a society where marriage and children take second chair to one's self gratification no matter what the form may be. My heart aches for every child who is the unwilling victim of yet another failed marriage. Parents who walk out of marriage and their childrens lives forever never to look back. And by the way we share the same birthday. Happy birthday to you and I.

Mark said...

Thank you, justsayin, Happy birthday to you as well.

Mary said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MARK!

__________

Regarding the teen's death, there's always more to every story.

Dan Trabue said...

Happy Birthday, Mark.

I don't know that I'd necessarily read anything into the fact that there were teens in the car.

I've always - even when I was in my 20s, given rides to teens from my church or neighborhood. That this was not a church service and that there was drinking involved doesn't look especially good, but I've not much use for jumping to conclusions.

I'm sure there'll be time for any suspicions to be sorted out by those involved.

Daffy76 said...

Happy Birthday Mark!

None said...

Happy Birthday!!

Erudite Redneck said...

Happy B-day, Mark.

Fiancee? You rushin' into somethin'? :-)

Eric said...

Happy Birthday, Mark. And may you have many many more..

The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Happy belated birthday, Mark!

Al-Ozarka said...

Happy Brlated, Mark.

Sorry - I haven't been very bloggy lately.